3-way-fingerprint for results

From:
Jim Cromie
Date:
August 25, 2009 16:17
Subject:
3-way-fingerprint for results
Message ID:
cfe85dfa0908251616t75ae3c4fq1954f5e67d99f547@mail.gmail.com
1 - with the adoption of git, we've now labelled executables with the
source's fingerprint:

GitLive-blead-1933-ge8d7f5d
or
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 11 subversion 0) configuration:
  Commit id: 949d299e37a717adb3ce1d444b3337dbf62a1a82

This makes it easy to know what revision youre running,
but what about the other 2 dimensions ?

2 - [jimc@harpo perl]$ perl -V |cksum
1579523312 2375

this makes a pretty good index to the set of config-spaces
its biggest flaw wrt is the embedded date, which spoils index as cheap
equivalent-config test.
  Compiled at Jul  7 2009 16:18:18

but this fixes that:
[jimc@harpo perl]$ for i in `seq 1 3`; do perl -V | grep -v 'Compiled at' |
sum ; done
05573     3
05573     3
05573     3

with normalized -V output, the constellation of config-checksums
that we/porters build with any regularity is probably around 300,
but quite possibly less, depending on how things are counted.

It seems that it might be useful to know these things
with some specificity; by platform, command-line options, etc..

3 - $ for i in `seq 1 4`; do sum /proc/cpuinfo ; done
12640     1
12640     1
36048     1
36048     1
its no good, since it includes dynamically changing stuff;

but simple filtering fixes it:
$ for i in `seq 1 3`; do egrep -v 'bogo|MHz' /proc/cpuinfo | sum  ; done
21756     1
21756     1
21756     1

These 3 ids would identify the executable producing a set of
results, and would make it rather trivial to determine whether
2 sets of results are even comparable, and for what detail.

g-space:  'g' seems to precede the sha1s for git-describe
k-space:  'k' for config
p-space:  'p' for platform