Re: 5.10.1 is released

From:
The Doctor
Date:
Re: 5.10.1 is released
Message ID:
20090824141833.GB23544@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 09:43:35AM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Sun 23.Aug'09 at 23:04:10 -0600, The Doctor wrote:

> > > Can you tell us something about the platform you're building on?
> >
> > BSD/OS 4.3.1 all patches in.
>
> So, it looks like BSD/OS 4.3.1 is an older version of a commercial
> operating system which was discontinued when Wind River bought BSDi
> about 5 years ago.  From a bit of googling, it looks like you're
> involved in most of mailinglist discussions about BSD/OS at this point.
>
> BSD/OS has all the markings of a platform p5p can't support without an
> active porter running smokes and committed to maintaining the port.
>
> Are you up for volunteering to keep the BSD/OS port up to date by
> (at a bare minimum) setting up regular smokes and helping to isolate
> failures?
>
> For discussion of how to set up a smoker, see this list's archives
> from the past week.

I keep the BSD/OS alive for 2 reasons:

1) waiting for improvements on 64-bit CPU (FreeBSD 7.2 answers this)

2) Older systems can expose flaws in new stuff.

I will look up the smoke concept in a bit.

--
Member - Liberal International	This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!