develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: updated gitweb on http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git

From:
demerphq
Date:
Re: updated gitweb on http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git
Message ID:
9b18b3110907270018i5aa007c7i99f6097f253d72a7@mail.gmail.com
2009/7/27 Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM, demerphq<demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I updated gitweb today, and it seems like snapshots are now working.
>
> Thanks for doing that.
>
>> With one catch. No .patch file so it probably isnt possible to use the
>> snapshot to build.
>
> Well, you can build, but unless you wrote down the commit ID
> somewhere, you won't know what you've bulit.
>
>> I need to figure out a solution to that ASAP. But at least now its
>> possible to get a .tgz.
>
> We should probably document the exact incantation of git describe that
> generates the .patch file, or perhaps embed it in a make_dot_patch.pl
> and put it in the repository.  That way it's transparent where it
> comes from and any mirror that wants to do the same thing could do so.
>  I assume this is currently done in a shell script on dromedary
> somewhere?

On camel, in /gitcommon/branches you can find a README explaining what happens.

Feel free to poke into it, or remind to do so more.

Yves