develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: updated gitweb on http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
Re: updated gitweb on http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0907261727y78ae61b8x95e70ce70cf37e9d@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 5:21 PM, demerphq<demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> I updated gitweb today, and it seems like snapshots are now working.

Thanks for doing that.

> With one catch. No .patch file so it probably isnt possible to use the
> snapshot to build.

Well, you can build, but unless you wrote down the commit ID
somewhere, you won't know what you've bulit.

> I need to figure out a solution to that ASAP. But at least now its
> possible to get a .tgz.

We should probably document the exact incantation of git describe that
generates the .patch file, or perhaps embed it in a make_dot_patch.pl
and put it in the repository.  That way it's transparent where it
comes from and any mirror that wants to do the same thing could do so.
 I assume this is currently done in a shell script on dromedary
somewhere?