develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

version-0.77 and You - Part 2

From:
John Peacock
Date:
July 24, 2009 18:37
Subject:
version-0.77 and You - Part 2
Message ID:
4A6A61AB.8050101@havurah-software.org
OK, I finally have the version.pm POD in a form that I'm not totally
ashamed to release with.  There is now very little chaff in version.pod
itself, and all the messy bits have been moved to version/Internals.pod.

I'm pushing 0.76_06 as I write this, so if people can look at it, that
would be most fantastic.  Note that Dave Mitchell is trying to freeze
5.10.1 this weekend, and version.pm is blocking that effort.

HOWEVER, based on a discussion started on p5p by Nicolas, I enabled a
warning if you try and use a v-string without the leading 'v' as a
version object initialization.  This is a change in behavior [that I
think is long overdue] that clarifies intent immensely and makes it much
more likely that people will Do The Right Thing(TM) the first time.
I'll send a matching patch for blead (which should probably get pulled
into 5.10.1 as well, now that I think about it) that enables this for
all v-strings (not just used for version objects).

Is it too late in the game to consider this option?

John