develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: maint-5.10 snapshot (aka "RC0")

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
Re: maint-5.10 snapshot (aka "RC0")
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.2.00.0907141059200.5211@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> I've created a snapshot of the maint-5.10 branch:

I've tested it on Solaris 8 with Sun's cc with no problems.

To be specific:

> I'd be really keen for this snapshot to get extensive testing. In
> particular:
>
>     * this is (as far as I'm aware), the first snapshot of any branch
>       that's been released since the move to git, and since the revamping
>       of all the patchlevel.h stuff. As such, it may well have issues with
>       things like file permissions, whether all the correct files have
>       been unix2dos'ed etc. (For those of you who aren't aware; a snapshot
>       like this isn't just a tarred-up copy of a git checkout; instead the
>       script Porting/makerel constructs a release dir by copying all the
>       files from the checkout dir then running all sorts of chmods and
>       unix2dos stuff.)

No problems noted.  This platform tends to complain about carriage
returns in files, though since it is a Unix platform, it probably doesn't
see any of the relevant files anyway.

>     * Similarly, there have been changes to the install process: for
>       example pod/perlapi.pod is now built at install time rather than
>       coming with the tarball; check that it still gets installed.

Yes, installed just fine.

>     * Binary compatibility. We make the proud claim that releases in the
>       the maint branch are binary-compatible with each other; ie XS code
>       built under an earlier perl should work with a later perl. So,
>       build yourself a 5.10.0, compile all your favourite CPAN and DarkPAN
>       XS modules using it, then upgrade to this snapshot and see if they
>       still work.

Again, everything seems to work fine.  (So far, I've only tested LWP,
HTML::Parser, and Term::ReadKey, but all are ok so far.  I have this
installed and am using it as my default perl.)

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu