develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2009

Re: Coring Variable::Magic / autodie fights with string eval inPerl 5.10.x

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: Coring Variable::Magic / autodie fights with string eval inPerl 5.10.x
Message ID:
20090705123757.GA5178@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> [2009-07-05 14:30]:
> Given the very late date of this fix, and the potential
> dodgyness of it (using tie on a highly-magic "for internal use
> only" variable, %^H)

I’m actually more worried about the existing reliance of autodie
on the contents of %^H getting stringified and thereby triggering
garbage collection. That smacks overwhelmingly strongly of an
accidental feature of the `my $foo if 0` calibre. Is that really
something people should be relying on as an interface contract?!

Regards,