develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2009

Re: patch submission(symbian/sdk.pl)

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
June 27, 2009 11:44
Re: patch submission(symbian/sdk.pl)
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0906271144x1f761ddmd1dc67cc19c22bea@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Dave Mitchell<davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:05:25AM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

>> etc. They won't apply with git-am
>
> Are you sure they're errors and not just warnings?
>
> git am shouldn't be refusing to apply a patch that happens to result in a
> line with trailing whitespace!

I don't think it does.  The default behavior (equivalent to
--whitespace=warn) is that it reports "whitespace errors" but commits
the patch anyway (assuming the trailing whitespace is the only
objection it has).  IMO it really shouldn't use the word "error" when
complaining about it because that suggests the apply operation failed.

In other words, by default, "whitespace errors" is really just an
informational message which means, roughly, "Linus has a pet peeve
about trailing whitespace and you should too."  Thanks, but I have one
or two more important things to worry about.