develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2009

Re: Perl 5.10.1

From:
David Nicol
Date:
June 23, 2009 18:18
Re: Perl 5.10.1
Message ID:
934f64a20906231817w42710fd2mfd594d680b067091@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Craig A. Berry<craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're right to point out that there is already a less than ideal
> situation for someone on 5.8.9 wanting to upgrade to 5.10.x.  But at
> least 5.8.9 came out *after* 5.10.0, so it doesn't utterly defy
> expectation that it would have some things that were not in a 5.10.x
> release yet.  But if 5.10.1 were to come out now without many of the
> optimizations and bug fixes in 5.8.9, I think that would really
> confuse people. Even if they don't follow development closely enough
> to regard what's merged into the maint-5.10 branch as an indication of
> what's going to be in the next 5.10.x release, they would be rightly
> disappointed if the newest version in the current branch were in some
> ways an upgrade and other ways a downgrade compared to the older
> branch.

Therefore, the correct way to release the improvements is in the form
of patches, in some kind of nifty patch applicability matrix.  The
target audience of the release is distribution packagers, who should
not be in the least cowed by patches, or by git for that matter.

Having the p5p release lag releases from debian, redhat, activestate,
gentoo, etc makes perfect sense and could drive better testing of
release candidates.

--
1996 IBM Model M, now with permanent marker dots on many keys.  You?