develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2009

Re: the conversion to git (was Re: Perl 5.10.1)

From:
David Golden
Date:
June 20, 2009 21:03
Re: the conversion to git (was Re: Perl 5.10.1)
Message ID:
5d4beb40906202103p5bc96bd9o39ba93e0b7e79266@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Jonathan Leto<jaleto@gmail.com> wrote:
> The barrier to entry for hacking on Perl 5 went from an infinite
> potential well to a gentle speed bump. (Yes, I just called git a
> gentle speed bump, but in a good way.) The effects of this have only
> begun to be felt.

As someone who just recently started sending patches, I'll second
this.  Git makes it easy to stay in sync, work on my own private
branch, rebase my branch whenever I need to, squash my own tiny
commits into a single patch, and otherwise protect me from myself that
it's definitely made working on Perl a good bit less intimidating to
consider.

I'm not saying it's a cure for cancer or anything, just that I
probably would never have considered it until the switch to git (or
maybe SVK, but I like git better, now).

-- David