develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: Adding autodie to Perl 5.10.1?

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
February 25, 2009 13:16
Re: Adding autodie to Perl 5.10.1?
Message ID:
20090225211606.GB4024@iabyn.com
On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:40:11AM +1100, Paul Fenwick wrote:
> Dave Mitchell wrote:
>
> >> * Are we still happy with autodie going in core for 5.10.1?
> >
> > As long as it doesn't break binary or backwards compatibility, then yes.
>
> Excellent!  Autodie is pure perl, and doesn't break either (with lots of
> test cases to make sure).

Hi Paul,
autodie 1.998 has now been provisionally merged into 5.10.x!
The main thing I'm concerned about is that it includes a fairly large
rewrite of Fatal.pm, to the extent that its not obvious to me
what's changed.

So, what, if anything, has changed in Fatal.pm that might be of interest or
concern to someone upgrading from 5.10.0 to 5.10.1?

Also, if there's anything there that might break backwards compatibility,
is it viable to ship autodie.pm but leave the old Fatal.pm?

thanks,
Dave

--
"I do not resent criticism, even when, for the sake of emphasis,
it parts for the time with reality".