develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Moving MakeMaker into git, how to do it?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
February 24, 2009 04:23
Subject:
Moving MakeMaker into git, how to do it?
Message ID:
49A3E6CF.5010409@pobox.com
Once I moved Test::More to github a bunch of people asked if I planned on
doing the same with MakeMaker.  The answer is yes.  The ability for others to
fork their own copies and for me to easily pull in changes will be invaluable
for MakeMaker.

Rather than just put the CPAN module on github, some folks suggested I instead
fork the perl repository and work from that.  This would make keeping
MakeMaker in sync with p5p a whole lot easier.

For a normal module the plan would be simple, stick it into ext/ and work from
that.  But MakeMaker builds everything else and needs some special attention.
 The key thing being that MakeMaker has to be installed into lib/ before the
rest of ext/ can build.

I see two strategies:

1) Copy ext/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/lib/ into lib/ at some point early in the build
process.

2) Jigger the ext/ build process so MakeMaker gets built first and installed
into lib/

I've made a fork on github and copied MakeMaker into ext/
http://github.com/schwern/perl/tree/ExtUtils-MakeMaker

Could someone familiar with the Makefile do the necessary voodoo to implement
either of the above strategies?

--
Look at me talking when there's science to do.
When I look out there it makes me glad I'm not you.