develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: restructuring ext (Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross)

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
February 12, 2009 11:33
Re: restructuring ext (Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross)
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0902121133t6b396a48yc9ae4f3abd36c329@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:40:31AM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyway, for now, we're (also) back to needing a tweak to configure.com.
>> > Right now it scans MANIFEST for m!(?:vms/)ext/.*/Makfile\.PL!
>> > which means that it won't consider any new directory in ext/ without a
>> > Makefile.PL as an extension. How complex is it to change it to treat
>> > all directories in ext (and vms/ext) as extension directories?
>>
>> Most likely it's just a matter of removing the line that looks like:
>>
>> $   IF F$EXTRACT(line_len - 12,12,line) .NES. "/Makefile.PL" THEN goto ext_loop

> Also need to skip non-directories, in case something like .gitignore is there.

It was a bit more complicated than I thought, but it's done:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/619cec6d

Any path in MANIFEST that starts with ext/ or vms/ext/ and the next
component in that path is a directory will have that component
converted to an extension name and added to known_extensions if it's
not already there.

nonxs_ext is still to-do.