develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: restructuring ext (Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 10, 2009 12:04
Re: restructuring ext (Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross)
Message ID:
20090210200433.GH81285@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:40:31AM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, for now, we're (also) back to needing a tweak to configure.com.
> > Right now it scans MANIFEST for m!(?:vms/)ext/.*/Makfile\.PL!
> > which means that it won't consider any new directory in ext/ without a
> > Makefile.PL as an extension. How complex is it to change it to treat
> > all directories in ext (and vms/ext) as extension directories?
>
> Most likely it's just a matter of removing the line that looks like:
>
> $   IF F$EXTRACT(line_len - 12,12,line) .NES. "/Makefile.PL" THEN goto ext_loop
>
> but I'm not near a system where I can test that at the moment.  I
> should probably do a bit more than that so we populate nonxs_ext,
> which we aren't currently doing.

Also need to skip non-directories, in case something like .gitignore is there.

> > Also, with Module::Pluggable now one level less deep in the tree, will its
> > tests fit inside it without busting the VMS directory level limit? Or are
> > they already at 8 in their location in t/Module_Pluggable?
>
> % perl Porting/check83.pl | grep level
>
> will tell you whether everything fits in 8 levels. I think there was
> something in Test::Harness that was over but is now under after
> flattening.  The answer for Module::Pluggable depends on where
>
> t/Module_Pluggable/lib/TA/C/A/I.pm
>
> is going to go.  If it becomes the following then I think it will stay under 8.
>
> ext/Module_Pluggable/t/lib/TA/C/A/I.pm

Gosh. I think it will just fit. We can restore sanity (although IIRC it
requires unpicking a bit of t/TEST and t/harness too)

Nicholas Clark