develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
February 8, 2009 17:36
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0902081736q143f40bejaf7817a6a85ac7b6@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 04:17:14PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>> I have
>> no idea why we have always passed INST_LIB and INST_ARCHLIB nor whey
>> everybody else passes INSTALLDIR and INSTALLMAN3DIRS as pass-through
>> arguments, but I decided to start off with a bug-for-bug compatible
>> implementation and worry about the rest later.
>
> INSTALLMAN3DIRS I know - it avoids needing to specify it in each Makefile.PL
> It prevents the makefile trying to make man pages, which no longer works now
> that the podulators require POSIX, whilst the extensions are built with
> miniperl. It was added here:
>
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/83fdb6ac17f285712d244cbee7f0c8d028a808f4?hp=89c14e2ec1b845cd5ec17986d2c65288a7da7ba8
>
> Except that it's not much use if just one platform is doing it, as Makefile.PLs
> ext-wide can't be simplified. I wasn't actually aware that the change had been
> made until I started on make_ext.pl
>

> INSTALLDIR comes from this change:
>
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/76c7ba2e4a4392e5e7538b69dfaf5c0656bdfaf4?f=ext/util/make_ext
>
> "Part of the MakeMaker 5.21 update."
>
> It's just that file, and I can't actually find any other reference to
> MakeMaker 5.21. The effect will be to cause the module to install in the
> "perl" library tree, rather than the sitelib tree.

Thanks.  As far as I know we never build man pages by default on VMS,
so we probably don't need those.

> Presumably setting INST_LIB and INST_ARCHLIB has the same
> effect? (But only on code, not man pages)

That seems right.  They've been there ever since make_ext.com's
predecessor build_ext.com came along back here:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse/p/6613

All the changes I can think of to use make_ext.pl in the VMS build and
handle flattened extension directories (where Foo::Bar might live
under ext/Foo-Bar) are now committed and pushed, so let THE PLAN
proceed.