develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 7, 2009 14:32
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
20090207223232.GK81285@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 04:17:14PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> >> I don't think that I can do any more until VMS is unified into the build
> >> system.
> >
> > Well, I had better get moving then.  I didn't want to wade into
> > make_ext.pl while it was a moving target, but now I have no excuse
> > :-).
>
> I have done my damage to make_ext.pl:
>
> http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/902aaf3e

Cool.

> It seems to work on VMS and did not make anything explode visibly on
> OS X.  Hopefully Win32 will be ok as well.  The description files
> produced are identical to what we got using make_ext.com.  Some of it
> probably needs prettification and simplification.  For example, I have
> no idea why we have always passed INST_LIB and INST_ARCHLIB nor whey
> everybody else passes INSTALLDIR and INSTALLMAN3DIRS as pass-through
> arguments, but I decided to start off with a bug-for-bug compatible
> implementation and worry about the rest later.

INSTALLMAN3DIRS I know - it avoids needing to specify it in each Makefile.PL
It prevents the makefile trying to make man pages, which no longer works now
that the podulators require POSIX, whilst the extensions are built with
miniperl. It was added here:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/83fdb6ac17f285712d244cbee7f0c8d028a808f4?hp=89c14e2ec1b845cd5ec17986d2c65288a7da7ba8

Except that it's not much use if just one platform is doing it, as Makefile.PLs
ext-wide can't be simplified. I wasn't actually aware that the change had been
made until I started on make_ext.pl

INSTALLDIR comes from this change:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commit/76c7ba2e4a4392e5e7538b69dfaf5c0656bdfaf4?f=ext/util/make_ext

"Part of the MakeMaker 5.21 update."

It's just that file, and I can't actually find any other reference to
MakeMaker 5.21. The effect will be to cause the module to install in the
"perl" library tree, rather than the sitelib tree. Presumably setting
INST_LIB and INST_ARCHLIB has the same effect? (But only on code, not man
pages)

Nicholas Clark