develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
February 7, 2009 14:17
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0902071417m55bea489m13c3a1059f53e2b4@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

>> I don't think that I can do any more until VMS is unified into the build
>> system.
>
> Well, I had better get moving then.  I didn't want to wade into
> make_ext.pl while it was a moving target, but now I have no excuse
> :-).

I have done my damage to make_ext.pl:

http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/commitdiff/902aaf3e

It seems to work on VMS and did not make anything explode visibly on
OS X.  Hopefully Win32 will be ok as well.  The description files
produced are identical to what we got using make_ext.com.  Some of it
probably needs prettification and simplification.  For example, I have
no idea why we have always passed INST_LIB and INST_ARCHLIB nor whey
everybody else passes INSTALLDIR and INSTALLMAN3DIRS as pass-through
arguments, but I decided to start off with a bug-for-bug compatible
implementation and worry about the rest later.

Now on to getting the VMS build to use this.