develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 2, 2009 14:02
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
20090202220233.GJ95022@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:01:08PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:47:49PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
>
> > On that note, I've had a quick look at porting make_ext.pl to VMS.  It
> > wouldn't be that difficult and I'm happy to add the DCL bits if you'd
> > rather not mess with it.  The hard part is calling it from the
> > description file (the Makefile equivalent).  Currently the description
> > file knows nothing about what extensions we are going to build and
> > depends on make_ext.com to root through config.sh and build what was
> > selected during configuration.  It only invokes make_ext.com once.  If
> > I'm reading what make_ext.pl does correctly, we'll have to make the
> > description file quite a bit smarter so it invokes make_ext.pl once
> > for each extension that we've configured for.
>
> I don't think that making the description file smarter will be needed.
> Right now, the Windows equivalent, win32/buildext.pl, does the looping,
> and I'm working with Max Maischein to converge it with make_ext.pl
> That will mean adding the looping (as an option) to make_ext.pl, so at
> that point there may not be that much left to do for VMS.

With 286d62c215d35caf69b83afb884cdaa350bd6aa3 Max and I have eliminated
win32/buildext.pl

Hopefully Steve Hay's smoker will give the code its seal of approval.

Internally, it's a bit of a mess still, but once we know that it works we
can clean it up as and when we see fit.

In particular, I suspect that win32/FindExt.pm can be re-written to avoid
chdir and backslashes, at which point it's portable to other platforms.
(At which point I can test it on my own, for moving directories in ext around,
without needing to ship patches by e-mail to Frankfurt*)

Nicholas Clark

* Frankfurt plug: http://www.perl-workshop.de/de/index.html