develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2009

Re: understanding merge history

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
February 2, 2009 11:21
Re: understanding merge history
Message ID:
1233602444.6439.3.camel@maia.lan
On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 17:15 +0000, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> There are two problems with this. First, the D1 and D2 picks are
> likely to have conflicts, and I have to resolve, repeating work
> (possibly erroneously) already done by E's committer.
 [...]
> > If you want to perform a merge and re-use merge resolutions from another
> > commit, which is about all the sense I can possibly make from the desire
> > to cherry pick a merge, then the program to use is called git-rerere.
> > It stores resolution information which is useful for avoiding repeating
> > merges; I don't know if it can just be pointed at an arbitrary merge and
> > update its resolution cache from that, but if it's not you can almost
> > certainly fool it into doing so, with appropriate use of git-reset and
> > so on.
>
> I don't think that will help much in this scenario.

So ... use of git-rerere will mean that the merge resolution from E will
apply when you try to do a merge/cherry pick that conflicts sufficiently
similarly to E.  How is that not helping much?

Sam.