Re: perldelta5101

From:
Paul Fenwick
Date:
January 29, 2009 03:22
Re: perldelta5101
Message ID:
4981915D.6000501@perltraining.com.au
G'day Dave, Nick, and p5p,

Dave Mitchell wrote:
> (Replying to this 3 weeks later - life got in the way...)

That's fine, I only just got back from a trip to Tasmania, so my apologies
for my own delays.

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:06:31PM +1100, Paul Fenwick wrote:

>> I'm happy to do some publicity on the list[1].
>
> That would be great.

It's late at night now, and I've got a ISP service provider change happening
tomorrow which is almost certainly going to involve some fire-fighting and
packet catching.  Oh yes, our state also has rolling blackouts due to a
massive heatwave and a trans-tasman power cable going out.

As such, any e-mail I send will be on the weekend, which I hope will give us
enough time to clarify the scope of the work anyway.

> 22 Dec 2007 - 16 Dec 2008
>
>     5.10.x under perforce control. A mixture of me (100) and Nicholas
>     (287) performing the integrations. Usually what Nicholas integrated
>     was also integrated into 5.8.x, so a fair bit of this should already
>     be familiar. All these changes are in the Changes file,
>
> 	http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/refs/heads/maint-5.10:/Changes
>
>     which uses perforce change numbers.

These can almost certainly be handled in a similar way to the 5.8.9 delta,
which involved chopping it up into chunks and handing them out to reviewers.

> 17 Dec 2008 - 6 Jan 2009
>
>     5.8.9 was released, we switched to git, and all commits since then
>     have been done by me. There's no Changes file yet, as the tool to
>     generate it hasn't been written yet! The commits are basically these
>
> 	http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/maint-5.10
>
>     That's about 100 commits.

In its current form this is a little more challenging.  The short logs (ie,
the first lines) are sometimes a little too short.  Being able to put this
into a similar form as the old Changes file would certainly be helpful.

> 7 Jan 2009 onwards
>
>     I plan to keep perldelta updated with any new merges from now onwards,
>     so there's no need for external help.

Huzzah!  May this be the start of a long and glorious tradition of keeping
the perldeta up-to-date. ;)

> Where was the VCS for perldelta hosted, and who 'owned' it?
> How were things coordinated and the work famed out?

The VCS was on github:

	http://github.com/pfenwick/perl589delta/tree/master

if you scroll down you'll see the rather detailed README that describes the
whole process.

As far as "owners" went, I was the one nominally in charge, although I did
very little of the actual reviewing.  Most of my work was managing
volunteers and handing out as much praise as I could to keep morale high.

Cheerio,

	Paul

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf@perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/