Re: perldelta5101

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
January 26, 2009 05:15
Re: perldelta5101
Message ID:
20090126131535.GE28242@iabyn.com
(Replying to this 3 weeks later - life got in the way...)

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:06:31PM +1100, Paul Fenwick wrote:
> Dave Mitchell wrote:
>
> > Paul Fenwick organised a collective writing effort for perl589delta, but
> > understandably he's too knackered to do a repeat performance for 5.10.1.
>
> I am happy to stick around giving unsolicited advice and coaching.  We also
> still have the perl589delta list active, which has almost 50 self-subscribed
> people who at least have some interest in making deltas happening, and 17
> people who contributed to the last delta.  I'm happy to do some publicity on
> the list[1].

That would be great.

> > For the next couple of weeks, finish off my backlog of p5p mails and
> > unmerged patches (I'm down from 7 to 2 months now). So I'm essentially in
> > assimilation mode currently.
>
> For the perl589delta (under perforce) we had a Changes file which included
> perforce numbers and summary information.  Do we have a similar thing for
> the 5.10.1 delta?

There are three merging periods of interest (these are the dates of the
merges, not the original commits):

22 Dec 2007 - 16 Dec 2008

    5.10.x under perforce control. A mixture of me (100) and Nicholas
    (287) performing the integrations. Usually what Nicholas integrated
    was also integrated into 5.8.x, so a fair bit of this should already
    be familiar. All these changes are in the Changes file,

	http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/blob/refs/heads/maint-5.10:/Changes

    which uses perforce change numbers.

17 Dec 2008 - 6 Jan 2009

    5.8.9 was released, we switched to git, and all commits since then
    have been done by me. There's no Changes file yet, as the tool to
    generate it hasn't been written yet! The commits are basically these

	http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/maint-5.10

    That's about 100 commits.

7 Jan 2009 onwards

    I plan to keep perldelta updated with any new merges from now onwards,
    so there's no need for external help.

Where was the VCS for perldelta hosted, and who 'owned' it?
How were things coordinated and the work famed out?

Thanks!

--
You're only as old as you look.