Re: [perl #62062] [RESOLVED] 'base' perldoc is missing a tab characterin ActivePerl Build 1004 [287188]

From:
Ben Petering
Date:
January 13, 2009 06:53
Re: [perl #62062] [RESOLVED] 'base' perldoc is missing a tab characterin ActivePerl Build 1004 [287188]
Message ID:
496BD1D7.4010207@petering.net
I'm not trying to waste time, this actually displays wrong for me (and
presumably others).

On my system (Windows XP), 'perldoc base' spawns a command shell
(cmd.exe) which uses the 'more' pager to display a text file in my temp
folder:

--> cmd.exe /x/d/c "more<
"C:\DOCUME~1\ben\LOCALS~1\Temp\perldoc_base_T496acbf9_1189e.txt""

This text file is generated from c:\activeperl\lib\base.pm (as best I
can tell from Process Monitor).

The curious thing is, in base.pm all 4 lines of that code example have 8
spaces in front. In the generated text file in my temp directory, 3 of
the lines have 12 spaces in front, and 1 (the outdented 'package Foo;'
line) has 8 spaces in front.

I don't really understand the workings of the perldoc system well enough
to speculate about probable cause, but since it's a problem with what's
generated and not the original POD, perhaps there's a bug somewhere?

-Ben