RE: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
vkonovalov
Date:
January 11, 2009 06:30
RE: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
C47ED771CC52F74A8C06D0664970E6CE79026808@FRMRSSXCHMBSB2.dc-m.alcatel-lucent.com

> Steffen Mueller actually has all of ext/util/make_ext
> re-written in Perl,
> but (I believe) doesn't have ext/util_make_ext_cross
> integrated with it,
> nor has anyone dealt with the make clean; make distclean
> problem described.
> (make distclean; on its own works fine)
>
> Also, Yves thought it easier to convert ext/util/make_ext to
> Perl first, then
> figure out how to merge it with the Win32 code, rather than
> trying to compare
> a shell script with Perl code.
>

> So best to work out how to avoid duplicating work.

that's fine!

> As far as he and I can see, make_ext_cross is identical to
> make_ext, except
> that it invokes Makefile.PL with -MCross. So I assume that
> the right way
> forward is to add an option to the new make_ext.pl to use
> -MCross, and then
> change the 4 lines in Cross/Makefile-cross-SH that currently invoke
> make_ext_cross, to instead invoke make_ext.pl with the 'use
> -MCross' option
> enabled.

yes, that's right.

2 points however:

- make_ext_cross needs additional attention  anyway - so feel free to
ignore it for now, I'll bring it up-to-date when continuing with cross-compilation,
hopefully very soon

... and the last link makes me think that I need to bring my mind up-to-date...

rsync is Soooooooo yesterday :)

> So is it best if we patch blead to change ext/util/make_ext to
> ext/util/make_ext.pl, and then let you patch that (and test
> it) to incorporate
> the -MCross option, and eliminate ext/util/make_ext_cross ?
>
> (then sort out disclean, and work out how to merge the Win32 code)

absolutely!

Best regards,
Vadim