Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
January 9, 2009 07:08
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0901090708s58391f3cka6fcb77b7388cb91@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason why core should run a single shell script as part of the
>> build process once miniperl has been linked?
>
> There is no compelling reason.  make_ext mostly reflects the fact that at
> the time, having just spent several months deeply involved in that massive
> shell script known as Configure, I was much more comfortable writing shell
> scripts than perl programs!  (It also reflects that neither DOS/Windows
> 3.1 nor VMS compatibility was on my mind, and my bias that if you're
> mainly going to just run a few external programs anyway, sometimes a shell
> script is the right tool, under Unix.)

FWIW, on VMS we currently generate a make_ext.com on the fly within
configure.com.  It's about 70 lines of DCL that basically runs
miniperl and the make utility a bunch of times.  I don't see anything
offhand that would prevent its replacement with a pure Perl
equivalent.  No doubt we would have to add a wrinkle or two, such as
grabbing extensions under vms/ext/ as well as ext/.