Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
January 9, 2009 05:29
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.64.0901090814430.2649@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Is there any reason why core should run a single shell script as part of the
> build process once miniperl has been linked?

There is no compelling reason.  make_ext mostly reflects the fact that at
the time, having just spent several months deeply involved in that massive
shell script known as Configure, I was much more comfortable writing shell
scripts than perl programs!  (It also reflects that neither DOS/Windows
3.1 nor VMS compatibility was on my mind, and my bias that if you're
mainly going to just run a few external programs anyway, sometimes a shell
script is the right tool, under Unix.)

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu