Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 9, 2009 03:33
Re: merging make_ext and make_ext_cross
Message ID:
9b18b3110901090333obdba23ata30096550286584e@mail.gmail.com
2009/1/9 Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:23:42PM +0100, demerphq wrote:
>> 2009/1/9 Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>:
>> > Did you mention that you had a patch somewhere to merge ext/util/make_ext
>> > and ext/util/make_ext_cross ?
>> >

>> > We're intending to convert ext/util/make_ext from shell to Perl, and it
>> > seems a good way to merge the functionality of the two into one.
>>
>> Nicholas you are aware of win32/buildext.pl and win32/FindExt.pm
>>
>> right?
>
> No, I wasn't. But I should have been able to infer that something like them
> had to exist, as Win32 can't run shell scripts, and Win32 can build
> extensions.

To repeat what i just said in chat (for posterities sake, although
dunno why this posterity guy needs everything repeated):

win32/buildext.pl

appears to be the win32 equivalent of make_ext. At least it has
patches that i made to make it possible to build only the 're'
extension (which doesnt really work in the linux version).

And it has cross compilation support in it too.

> Is there any reason why core should run a single shell script as part of the
> build process once miniperl has been linked?

No. Not that i can think of.

Yves