Re: Minimal Perl git repostory

From:
Jerry D. Hedden
Date:
January 7, 2009 12:08
Re: Minimal Perl git repostory
Message ID:
1ff86f510901071208p457f9146w625e9b35b9638603@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/7 Jerry D. Hedden <jdhedden@cpan.org>:
>> Jerry D. Hedden wrote:
>>> Building Perl inside a git repository is necessary so that
>>> the git commands in make_patchnum.pl (and elsewhere) will
>>> work.
>>
>> demerphq wrote:
>>> Not true. Its totally possible to build perl without git at all.
>>
>> I didn't mean that git was necessary to build Perl.  I meant that
>> I wanted to be able to build in such a way that the git commands
>> used by make_patchnum.pl still work.
>>
>>> You didnt really think I made it necessary to have git
>>> around to build did you?
>>
>> No, I did see the .patch stuff, but I'm not using the rsync
>> method.
>>
>>> Anyway, have you tried rsyncing from the APC? Notice anything
>>> different about it?
>>
>> I'm gonna still with the git method for now.
>>
>>> Assuming you have perl already installed:
>>>
>>> git pull # whatever, update git.
>>> perl make_patchnum.pl
>>> git archive --format=zip HEAD > $zips/perl.zip
>>> zip $zips/perl.zip lib/Config_git.pl git_version.h
>>
>> This is for the head of the blead branch, right?
>> How about for some particular commit ID?
>>
>>    git pull
>>
>>    git checkout COMMIT_ID
>>    perl make_patchnum.pl
>>    git archive --format=zip COMMIT_ID > $zips/perl.zip
>>    zip $zips/perl.zip lib/Config_git.pl git_version.h
>>
>>    git clean -dxf              # Clean up
>>    git checkout blead          # Return to default branch
>

> It takes a "treeish" as an argument, which includes "commitish".
>
> So yes.
>
> I still dont see why you do it like this. It seems a pity to not know
> what branch the commit is on, for what seems to me to be no good
> reason.

I know about:   git checkout -b my-branch COMMIT_ID
but this seems pointless as I don't see the need for creating
a new branch.  I'm not going to be checking in any changes.

How then do I set the branch according to the commit ID?
For instance, commit ID  1f1f9ba37f5670f787f95ba511742e9cf4d9ca66
is on the maint-5.10 branch.  How to I checkout that commit ID
and set the branch to maint-5.10 (or origin/maint-5.10)?