Minimal Perl git repostory

From:
Jerry D. Hedden
Date:
January 7, 2009 10:31
Subject:
Minimal Perl git repostory
Message ID:
1ff86f510901071030p5e1fb740ubcf11b532b73905@mail.gmail.com
Building Perl inside a git repository is necessary so that
the git commands in make_patchnum.pl (and elsewhere) will
work.

After building, I tar up the build directory (complete with
all the object files, etc.) so that I can untar and use it
again at a later date if needed.

Currently, the Perl git repository uses about 172MB of disk
space.  If I make a shared clone of the respository, it only
uses about 74MB.  However, the shared clone is dependent on
the original respository so that if I tar up my build and
then untar it later, any git commands issued in it may not
work.

So, what I need is a way to get a minimal copy of the
respository set to a particular commit ID that will still
function for various git commands used as part of the build
process, yet is independent of the original repository.  The
copied respository can be read-only in that I won't be using
it to commit any changes, create any branches and so on.

Is the above possible?