Re: perldelta5101

From:
Paul Fenwick
Date:
January 5, 2009 20:07
Re: perldelta5101
Message ID:
4962D8C7.1000002@perltraining.com.au
G'day Dave / p5p,

Dave Mitchell wrote:

> Paul Fenwick organised a collective writing effort for perl589delta, but
> understandably he's too knackered to do a repeat performance for 5.10.1.

I am happy to stick around giving unsolicited advice and coaching.  We also
still have the perl589delta list active, which has almost 50 self-subscribed
people who at least have some interest in making deltas happening, and 17
people who contributed to the last delta.  I'm happy to do some publicity on
the list[1].

> So my question is, is there anyone out there who feels up to such a
> challenge? If so, I will marry you and have your babies etc etc.

asl?  ;)

> For the next couple of weeks, finish off my backlog of p5p mails and
> unmerged patches (I'm down from 7 to 2 months now). So I'm essentially in
> assimilation mode currently.

For the perl589delta (under perforce) we had a Changes file which included
perforce numbers and summary information.  Do we have a similar thing for
the 5.10.1 delta?

Also, if I can be so bold, as you're working through your backlog, if it's
possible to record the noteworthiness of each change, that would be a *huge*
help.  A lot of the work for the 5.8.9 delta was determining which changes
needed to be documented, and which didn't.  Tags/keywords in commits to
indicate that something should/should not be recorded in the delta would
significantly cut down on seek times, which means more time for writing the
delta.

Writing delta stubs for significant changes as you merge them will slash
work even more.

> Once I've caught up, I'll probably produce a snapshot. This is the point
> where the influx of merged changes becomes a trickle, and is a good time
> to start work on perldelta.

Of course one *can* start on the delta earlier than that.  Unless there are
plans to un-merge changes, we can have volunteers working on processing
older work even while other changes continue to pour in.

Cheerio,

	Paul

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/perl589delta

--