Re: perldelta5101

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
January 5, 2009 19:49
Re: perldelta5101
Message ID:
4962D48C.7010907@vilain.net
Dave Mitchell wrote:
> p5pers,
>
> Some time soon I need to start producing perl5101delta.pod.
>
> I originally started with the good intention of updating it as I went
> along, but soon forgot. So there are a year's worth of changes merged from
> bleed that need documenting.

I'll point out here that if the guidelines of making the first line of a
commit message a brief summary of the changes was followed, this becomes
a matter of editing this:

git-log perl-5.10.0..origin/blead | git-shortlog

Running this gives 1,896 lines, which I've attached (hopefully will
display inline).

As you can see, tools like this are designed for projects which follow
the git commit message conventions. In this case, having the first line
of the commit message a brief summary of the change. Nicholas - you seem
to be putting much longer messages in. I suggest you use those as a long
message and try to summarise them in one line, or don't wrap them.

Sam.