long-forgotten patch: overloading.pm

From:
Ricardo SIGNES
Date:
December 30, 2008 15:40
Subject:
long-forgotten patch: overloading.pm
Message ID:
20081230234004.GA4796@cancer.codesimply.com

Remember when I got all excited about being able to screw around with how
$obj->method would dispatch?  I'm still *really really* excited about that
idea.  I promised Rafael that I'd go over some related patches from the
always-fantastic Yuval K.

Here's one:

This patch allows you disable all overloading in a lexical scope on a
per-operator basis.  It will be of great use in writing (for example) method
dispatching methods, since you may want them to be able to do things in terms
of core method dispatch without that pesky infinite recursion thing.

I think this pragma is fine -- interface wise.  I am not somebody to ask about
how good the C is.  More importantly, this will help clear the path for Yuval
to have overloaded ->, and is there anything more important for Perl 5.12?  I
suggest... no.

--
rjbs