Re: ? Should \N{LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A} have the same semantics as\N{U+0041}

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
December 29, 2008 11:41
Re: ? Should \N{LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A} have the same semantics as\N{U+0041}
Message ID:
495927CC.9080605@NevCal.com
On approximately 12/29/2008 10:54 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of karl williamson:
> They both mean 'A', but they have somewhat different semantics.
>
> Currently the LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A turns on Unicode semantics for the
> entire string or regular expression it is in, while the U+0041 does not.
>
> I contend that since they both mean the same Unicode code point, that
> they should have identical semantics, either both turning it on or both
> not.
>
> And I believe they both should turn it on, as the use of these constants
> implies that the program is thinking in Unicode, and so expects Unicode
> semantics.
>
> Is there any disagreement?

Sounds correct and appropriate to me... at least under the new pragma.

The backward compatibility police might want to declare that \N{U+0041},
since it didn't used to turn on Unicode, still shouldn't.  I would
consider that not turning it on was a bug, and that if not turning it on
was desired, that the programmer should have used any of:  "A", 'A',
"\x41", "\x{41}", or "\101".

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/