? Should \N{LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A} have the same semantics as \N{U+0041}

From:
karl williamson
Date:
December 29, 2008 10:54
Subject:
? Should \N{LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A} have the same semantics as \N{U+0041}
Message ID:
49591CDD.40100@khwilliamson.com
They both mean 'A', but they have somewhat different semantics.

Currently the LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A turns on Unicode semantics for the
entire string or regular expression it is in, while the U+0041 does not.

I contend that since they both mean the same Unicode code point, that
they should have identical semantics, either both turning it on or both
not.

And I believe they both should turn it on, as the use of these constants
implies that the program is thinking in Unicode, and so expects Unicode
semantics.

Is there any disagreement?