regenerating a patch number

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
December 27, 2008 08:31
Subject:
regenerating a patch number
Message ID:
20081227163124.GA55656@plum.flirble.org
I'm still not convinced that I like this (new) section of the Makefile as-is
yet:

.PHONY: all translators utilities make_patchnum

make_patchnum:
	sh $(shellflags) make_patchnum.sh

.patchnum: make_patchnum

perl$(OBJ_EXT): .patchnum

because it seems to have the side effect that make always considers that
.patchnum is out of date, so always regenerates it, so perl.o is always
recompiled, so miniperl is always relinked, so lib/unicore/mktables is
always re-run, and all the extensions Makefiles checked. Which is quite a bit
of work each time.

Is there a way in a makefile of saying "try this, but if it doesn't XYZ
then consider the target up-to-date"?

Nicholas Clark