Re: A little PERL support(how to make the source unreadable)

From:
Dominic Dunlop
Date:
December 22, 2008 05:31
Re: A little PERL support(how to make the source unreadable)
Message ID:
16295C18-3F5E-41CB-ADB6-DF4DC51DF5AF@computer.org
On 2008–12–22, at 14:14, Reini Urban wrote:
> Is there a specific reason why the question to the perlfaq3
> "How can I compile my Perl program into byte code or C?"
> is not answered properly?
>
> perldoc B::Bytecode

NOTICE
[...]
THIS CODE IS HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

> perldoc B::C

BUGS

Plenty. Current status: experimental.

> would answer it.

Also, from perl-5.10.0/pod/perl5100delta.pod:

Removal of the bytecode compiler and of perlcc
perlcc, the byteloader and the supporting modules (B::C, B::CC,
B::Bytecode, etc.) are no longer distributed with the perl sources.
Those experimental tools have never worked reliably, and, due to the
lack of volunteers to keep them in line with the perl interpreter
developments, it was decided to remove them instead of shipping a
broken version of those. The last version of those modules can be
found with perl 5.9.4.

So, nice though it might be if these modules were usable, they're not.

--

Dominic Dunlop