Cleaned up commit messages

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
December 20, 2008 21:48
Subject:
Cleaned up commit messages
Message ID:
1229837459.11509.12.camel@maia.lan
Hi all,

Some revisionism continues - I've just pushed the branch "samv/blead" to
the Perl repository - what I've done is go back through the commits
since the GitLive-blead point, and cleaned them up mildly;

  - move metadata from commit body to header
  - try to summarise nature of changes being applied
  - include useful excerpts of linked P5P messages.
  - convert tense of commit message to present tense, remove
    terms like "the attached patch", "currently on blead", etc.

I would recommend that porters consider the advice in the
SubmittingPatches file in git.git:

http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git?a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;hb=HEAD

There is a lot of useful advice there, though of course it needs to be
customised and put into the equivalent files in pod/ for Perl.

compare:

  http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/log/samv/blead
  http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/log/blead

Consider this a recommendation on how those commits might look after
consideration of the git.git SubmittingPatches guidelines.  The goal is
to enhance the maintenance value of changes.

This new blead could be applied to 'blead' using 'git update-ref
refs/heads/blead samv/blead' on camel; normally you don't rebase on
public branches, but perhaps given that the official announcement is yet
to be made there is still room for this (ahead of the 'git notes'
proposals to allow retroactive commit message fixes).

Sam.