RE: [perl #61492] ExtUtils::MM_Win32 should not generate "mt" command when CRT is statically linked

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
December 19, 2008 10:07
RE: [perl #61492] ExtUtils::MM_Win32 should not generate "mt" command when CRT is statically linked
Message ID:
013d01c96204$9b211e80$d1635b80$@com
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Steve Hay wrote:
> Jan Dubois wrote:
> > I don't think it is feasible to detect static vs. dynamic linking by
> > analyzing all the compile and link options.  It would be much easier
> > to only invoke the `mt` command if the compile step actually
> > generated a manifest:
> >
> >     if exist $@.manifest mt -nologo -manifest $@.manifest ...
> >     if exist $@.manifest del $@.manifest
> >

> Thanks, applied as 4adc95e616bac7eea015e9e47e439b063c1132d5.

On second thoughts I think we should also remove the compiler check and
emit this code now unconditionally. It will be a no-op if you use a
compiler that doesn't generate a manifest.

The advantage of removing the compiler check is that this will make
things work for the latest 64-bit VC versions as well. The current check
was explicitly not adding the manifest code in 64-bit build because the
VC version in the Windows 2003 Platform SDK uses the same version number
as VS 2005, but links against the 64-bit version of MSVCRT.dll and
therefore doesn't generate a manifest.  The new code should be safe for
all compiler versions.

Cheers,
-Jan