Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12

From:
chris
Date:
December 18, 2008 23:16
Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12
Message ID:
1015742819-1229669695-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1801919170-@bxe159.bisx.prod.on.blackberry
Fair enough I just didn't want to see yet another propsal get blocked because of an unshaven yak.

I for one am comfortable with having a perl 5 construct that is similar to but distinct from a perl 6 construct. The object models differ enough that arguing about the semantics of method params is a little like arguing the color of the motorcycle compared to the car.

Apologies for top posting, I blame RIM and their anemic email client, but I am away from my PC.

- Chris

------Original Message------
From: Chip Salzenberg
To: Chris Prather
Cc: Tim Bunce
Cc: Johan Vromans
Cc: Florian Ragwitz
Cc: perl5-porters@perl.org
Sent: Dec 19, 2008 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:20:22AM -0500, Chris Prather wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >> Either way, shouldn't we be aiming to match the syntax to the semantics
> >> in a way that's consistent with Perl 6? In other words require "is copy":
> >>      sub square ($num is copy) : method {
> >
> > Well ... that depends on the feasibility of read-only aliases, which I have
> > yet to explore.
>
> The ability to parse something as a no-op for future compatibility,
> and the ability to make that do something need not be related.

True, that.  I think most people agree that parsing as much of the Perl 6
syntax as possible is the base requirement.

But Tim had said 'require "is copy"', which goes farther.

If:

  (1) the only prototype that generates
        my ($x) = @_
      is
        sub foo ($x is copy)

*And*

  (2) read-only aliases are not feasible

then this code
  sub foo ($x) {...}
must either:
  (a) have a different meaning from Perl 6
 or:
  (b) not be allowed.

That's why I said it depends on the feasibility of read-only aliases
--
Chip Salzenberg   twitter:chipsalz
"UTOPIA PLANITIA IS IN ORBIT is the new HAN SHOT FIRST" - Crisper Than Thou

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile