Re: Storable

From:
Jonathan Rockway
Date:
December 15, 2008 12:34
Re: Storable
Message ID:
87d4ftfab0.fsf@bar.jrock.us
* On Mon, Dec 15 2008, Jonathan Blaine wrote:
> I'd love to upgrade perl on the production boxes, at least to 5.8.8.
> Can you tell me, in general (i.e. I'm not going to blame you if it fails)  if
> I ZIP up/backup  the perl installation as it is now, install 5.8.8, and
> encounter problems with existing scripts, can I simply replace the perl
> directory with the backed-up version and be back to functional?  I remember
> being told that long ago (5.6.x) but I've never had the occasion to try it,
> and heaven knows things may have changed by now.

You can probably do this.  If you have a filesystem state A, then change
it to B, then change it back to A, anything that worked on A will work
with the new A, right?

Anyway, I would recommend just installing the new version of Perl into
your home directory, and then setting $PATH accordingly.  That way, you
can just rm -rf ~/perl if something goes wrong.  This is a very common
use case, and I think you'll find that nearly everyone does their
development work with a perl in their homedir instead of the OS's perl.
You can also have multiple versions of Perl installed this way... good
if you want to have both 5.8 and 5.10 around.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway