Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
December 6, 2008 07:10
Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12
Message ID:
b77c1dce0812060709l15084841i745ae8b7542b0e0a@mail.gmail.com
2008/12/6 Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:45:13PM +0100, Vincent Pit wrote:
>> I think that the key feature would be aliasing of parameters (even as an
>> optional trait).  Maybe I'm a little naive but without it, how pretty the
>> new syntax could be, I don't think it would be enough for experienced
>> users to justify the break in backward compatibility.
>
> It seems likely that we could make this feature available for 5.10--, though
> it is possible we will have to revert to a source filter for downversions,
> and/or support a subset of the full 5.12 feature.  This is all speculation,
> though, until we have at least a target feature set; this is my first order
> of business.

Matt Trout's Devel::Declare, which is used by Method::Signatures and
friends are able to do quite scary things without resorting to source
filters. IIRC one of the primary motivations was to be able to test
and experiment new languages features in a way backportable to older
perls, without to have to patch the core.

I think that the syntax of Method::Signatures is an excellent ground
on which to base a core implementation.