Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
December 5, 2008 16:44
Re: Proposal: Named parameters for 5.12
Message ID:
20081206004351.GO16081@tytlal.topaz.cx
On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 12:53:44AM +0100, Vincent Pit wrote:
> > That argument is basically "new feature aren't worthwhile unless they
> > include $other_specific_new_feature".  That sort of reasoning is a great
> > way to shoot down anything new. And that's...not really what perl needs
> > right now ;)
>
> Well then, that argument is basically "new things are worthwile as long
> as they give the impression the beast is still moving".

Jesse doesn't need my help, but I really must say that this reply makes a
logical(?) leap of such magnitude that I'm quite surprised it didn't land on
an entirely different mailing list.  A new feature is not useless PR just
because it does not include the thing you, personally, would most like.
Notational convenience has value; a highly convenient syntax for naming and
(roughly) validating parameters is hardly worthless.

> I didn't say that just to be negative : if it's not part of the plan, that
> nobody else implements it and that I've the tuits and the abilities, be
> sure that I'll try to hack it in.

Ah, well, why didn't you say that to begin with?  :-) I have no reason to
actively reject aliasing; it's a nice feature and, in the 'rw' case, it's a
SMOP based on a couple of different CPAN modules.  You should be aware,
however, that _efficient_ _read-only_ aliasing - which is the Perl 6 default
- may be a high-wire act in Perl 5's core.  I would not be surprised if only
5.12 could support it.
--
Chip Salzenberg   twitter:chipsalz
"UTOPIA PLANITIA IS IN ORBIT is the new HAN SHOT FIRST" - Crisper Than Thou