Perl 5.8.9 RC1 and gcc on AIX

From:
Rainer Tammer
Date:
December 3, 2008 00:01
Subject:
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 and gcc on AIX
Message ID:
49363CC8.3080808@tammer.net
Hello,
right now it looks like Perl 5.8.9 RC1 (and 5.10.x / bleed) does not
compiler with gcc on AIX.
I already have submitted a patch for bleed (34983). With this patch
applied to 5.8.9 RC1 you can compile:

Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with gcc 3.3.2
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with gcc 4.2.4
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with IBM C/C++ V7
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with IBM C/C++ V8
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with IBM C/C++ V9
Perl 5.8.9 RC1 with IBM C/C++ V10

I have tested this on AIX 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 / 6.1 (not with all compiler
combinations :-) ).

Settings:

  -Duseshrplib (I think this is mandatory)
  -Dusethreads  (Optional)

So if there are no objections in the next couple of day I vote to
include this patch in 5.8.9.
If you think that the change to Makefile.SH is to sensitive for 5.8.9
then we have to change the README.aix
and remove gcc from the supported compiler list.

A other problem is suidperl:

To make this work on AIX we need a other patch to makefile.SH:

This patch adds the libperl_nonshr.a in front of libperl.a for AIX
(libperl.a is only used for the Dynloader).
Without the patch suidperl simply wont compile/work on AIX and with the
patch suidperl is linked statically
with the exception of the Dynloader.

Should this be fixed for 5.8.9 or should we fix it for 5.10.x / bleed ??

Bye
  Rainer