Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
Glenn Linderman
Date:
November 17, 2008 01:04
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
49213397.2000306@NevCal.com
On approximately 11/16/2008 5:52 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Tom Christiansen:
>    of "Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:52:25 PST." <491E5589.6000705@NevCal.com>
>
>  §  If I didn't know better (and I don't), I'd wonder whether Dan Bernstein
>     or Richard Stallman or many another net.pest with an incurable chip on
>     their shoulder hadn't sneaked into your login just that they might abuse
>     and pick on people with uncalled-for and barely-veiled visciousness.
>
>  §  *I* don't need it, and I bet nobody else does, either.
>
>  §  And that's *all* the time I'm going to waste on *you*,
>     Mister Linderman.
>
> --tom

Well, excuse me all to pieces.  I point out a fallacy in your reasoning,
and I get this?  You didn't hesitate to point out fallacies in my
reasoning, with great flourish and tons of raw data.  One of the
problems here is that the problem being discussed is almost beyond the
ability of a human brain to understand it, because of the many facets in
provides -- and we are likely all going to do some fallacious reasoning.

My only purpose in commenting on the Unicode threads is to try to make
Perl a useful language for writing programs in Unicode.

While octal escapes are only tangentially related to Unicode (because
Unicode characters up to 255 or maybe 511 can be represented using octal
escapes in regex and or string constants), they have other problems,
being discussed here.

Anyway, for the record, I don't know, and have never met or communicated
with Dan Bernstein or Richard Stallman, as far as I can remember.  I do
use emacs though.

Your apology will be accepted if you make one; you have contributed a
lot to Perl, and no doubt still can.  Certainly way more than I have or can.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/