Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
November 16, 2008 12:00
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
20081116210041.6f2e807b@pc09.procura.nl
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:52:03 +0000, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
wrote:

> > My only concern with that is to avoid infrastructure like the
> > smokers getting set up in ways that are tied too closely to
> > transitory workflows, thereby becoming a roadblock to future
> > improvements.
>
> The smokers currently all run of the same rsync server. So whatever the
> rsync server serves up is what all the current smokers will smoke. They
> would only become a blocker if people started to set up smokers that got
> their code via git, rather than rsync, and then expected that to keep working.
> Right now the rsync server acts as a single point of control, that allows
> us to easily change what "workflow" the (existing) smokers smoke.

Something else to consider in using hashes in .patch, is that not all
smokers smoke at the same speed, so incoming smokes are not always in
the correct order.

e.g. my HP-UX 10.20 takes a lot longer than my newest Linux box:

Automated smoke report for 5.11.0 patch 34837
d3: PA8000 (PA-RISC2.0/32/1 cpu)
    on        HP-UX - B.10.20
    using     cc version A.10.32.30
    smoketime 20 hours 32 minutes (average 5 hours 8 minutes)

Automated smoke report for 5.11.0 patch 34837
pc09: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz (GenuineIntel 1596MHz) (x86_64/4 cpu)
    on        linux - 2.6.22.18-0.2-default [SuSE]
    using     ccache g++ version 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)
    smoketime 1 hour 50 minutes (average 13 minutes 50 seconds)

If two smokes are run simultaneous, the first might well go to 40 hours
or more.

--
H.Merijn Brand          Amsterdam Perl Mongers  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,