Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
November 16, 2008 08:26
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
20081116162610.GH28244@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> [2008-11-16 15:50]:
> You said "smokers can PULL from multiple remotes", you meant
> fetch, and some of us understood it that way, but some people
> will think you meant something like:

Yes, sorry. I find “fetch” kind of awkward when used in informal
context, since “pull” is a general concept universally understood
among different DVCSs whereas the pull/fetch distinction that git
makes, in the way that git makes it, is not universal. And I was
trying to speak in conceptual terms rather than implementation.
The vernacular has not settled down enough quite yet and the
difference in everyone’s conception of the terms can make it
frustrating to try to convey ideas at the right level.

> Wheras you really meant:
>
> git remote update
>
> or its equivalent:
>
> for r in $(git remote); do git fetch $r; done;

Yes, exactly. And then check which relevant remote branches have
new stuff and smoke them in turn.

Regards,