Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
Chris Prather
Date:
November 16, 2008 05:49
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
12b83b2d0811151053r3ebba7bcue145c8c0d5e997b1@mail.gmail.com
Craig,

Yeah, it's a lot like approaching Perl for the first time by dropping
into an advanced project. I found this description by Oliver Steele to
be the best explanation of a workflow that "just works":

--- Excerpt ---

I got through my first four months of Git by pretending it was
Subversion. (A faster implementation of Subversion, that works
offline, with non-awful branches and merging, that can run as a client
to Perforce – but still basically Subversion.) The executive summary
of this mode of operation is that if you use "git commit -a" instead
of "git commit", you can ignore the index altogether. You can alias ci
to "commit -a" (and train yourself not to use the longer commit, which
I hadn't been doing anyway), and then you don't have to remember the
command-line argument either:

$ cat ~/.gitconfig
[alias]
  ci = commit -a
  co = checkout
  st = status -a
$ git ci -m 'some changes'

---- Excerpt ---

This is the Git equivalent of Larry's "Baby Talk Perl is Okay". Oliver
goes on to explain a much more complex model of his workflow
(http://osteele.com/archives/2008/05/my-git-workflow) which add value
to the process, but you're right a simple:

git clone git@perl5.git.perl.org:perl.git
cd perl
[ hack hack hack ]
git commit -m'Fixed Bugs!'
git format-patch -1
[send patch file to p5p for review]

Would be the easiest document for people to really get into patching
Perl quickly. (Yes it really is this simple, I just did exactly this
with a CPAN module using it's tarball as my starting point.)

-Chris