Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
demerphq
Date:
November 16, 2008 04:34
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
9b18b3110811160433q6d8fc38di8168c20c39236696@mail.gmail.com
2008/11/16 Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com>:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 02:55:43PM +0100, Dr.Ruud wrote:
>> Chip Salzenberg schreef:
>> > Tom Christiansen quoted the Camel:
>> >
>> > Programs that write programs may be happy ... but people who have to
>> > read and, heaven forfend, _maintain_ programs written by programs
>> > are, without doubt, the damned of Computania.
>>
>> My best coding memories are still attached to metaprogramming,
>> specifically Clarion for DOS.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_(programming_language)
>
> Ah, but you neither had to read nor maintain, only regenerate.  That's a
> fine model; it's more like a compiler, with debugging of its output only an
> occasional burden.  Code-generation wizards, on the other hand, which
> require you to own and maintain their output ... they are the creation of
> somebody kinda like Satan.  Only evil.

Pragmatic programmer has an interesting comment on this: "Never use a
code wizard you didn't write yourself"

Whether this applies to SQL or not is a debatable. :-)

Yves