Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
Dr.Ruud
Date:
November 16, 2008 04:19
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
20081116121851.437.qmail@lists.develooper.com
Chip Salzenberg schreef:
> Dr.Ruud:
>> Chip Salzenberg:
>>> Tom Christiansen quoted the Camel:

>>> Programs that write programs may be happy ... but people who have to
>>> read and, heaven forfend, _maintain_ programs written by programs
>>> are, without doubt, the damned of Computania.
>>
>> My best coding memories are still attached to metaprogramming,
>> specifically Clarion for DOS.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_(programming_language)
>
> Ah, but you neither had to read nor maintain, only regenerate.

Well, that is never entirely true of course. Out of the produced source
code you learned how to put even cleverer tricks into the model file
which would give you even more hooks to tweak with, etc. It was great
fun.

> That's a fine model; it's more like a compiler, with debugging of its
> output only an occasional burden.  Code-generation wizards, on the
> other hand, which require you to own and maintain their output ...
> they are the creation of somebody kinda like Satan.  Only evil.

At last you make me think of brain-dead macro recorders. Yes, I hated
those, then forgot all about them.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."