Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
demerphq
Date:
November 16, 2008 02:16
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
9b18b3110811160216v716fe629o4a8f7b98d7090517@mail.gmail.com
2008/11/15 demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>:
> * Regarding learning git internals. I personally think learning the
> git internals is about as complex as learning the command set of svn
> or cvs or perforce. And the advantage is that once you learn it you
> haven't just learned "Magic Recipies" you have learned the underlying
> basis of how it works, from there you can be productive in figuring
> out how other commands work and how difficult things that you could
> never do in another vc can be done, usually relatively simply.

I view this as the difference in learning that a particular phrase in
another language will get you a beer if you say it in a bar. Versus
understanding which bits of the phrase are "I", "would like", "beer".
Because if you learn the latter you can go into a restaurant and
assuming you can figure out the word for "steak" in the language ask
for a steak. You don't have to learn another magic phrase to get the
steak, just the word for steak, and then substitute "steak" for
"beer".

"Ich möchte gerne bitte ein bier" => "I would like a beer please"
"Ich möchte gerne bitte ein rindfilet" => "I would like a steak please"

So, you can learn those two phrases as "magic formulas" that get you a
beer or a steak, or you can learn that "Ich möchte gerne bitte ....."
can be used to order, relatively politely, whatever you want. Same
idea in git. Learn a bit of the pieces and you start being able to do
things that nobody thought of doing before. That means that git unlike
most other vcs is productive (in the linguistic sense of the word),
wheras most other vc's are not productive (in the linguistic sense of
the word).

Cheers,
yves