Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
November 15, 2008 15:43
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
20081115234335.GA5495@tytlal.topaz.cx
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 02:55:43PM +0100, Dr.Ruud wrote:
> Chip Salzenberg schreef:
> > Tom Christiansen quoted the Camel:
> >>     It has been said(*) that programs that write programs
> >>     are the happiest programs in the world.
> >> * By Andrew Hume, the famous Unix philosopher.
> >
> > Programs that write programs may be happy ... but people who have to
> > read and, heaven forfend, _maintain_ programs written by programs
> > are, without doubt, the damned of Computania.
>
> My best coding memories are still attached to metaprogramming,
> specifically Clarion for DOS.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_(programming_language)

Ah, but you neither had to read nor maintain, only regenerate.  That's a
fine model; it's more like a compiler, with debugging of its output only an
occasional burden.  Code-generation wizards, on the other hand, which
require you to own and maintain their output ... they are the creation of
somebody kinda like Satan.  Only evil.
--
Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com>